NEWS BLUES :(

So, was watching news tonight and I couldn’t help but get riled up. Then I got riled up some more. Then I got really exasperated. Then I simply changed the channel.
Nothing new really, just the same old sick cycle carousel that our (formerly?) great nation seems to be glued on.
And talking of the ‘greatness’ of our nation, didn’t we used to be called the “GIANT OF AFRICA”? But that’s a whole different musing.
Anyway, back to tonight’s news.
Riled up part one – the recurring debate about removal of fuel subsidy. Why? Why?! Please spare me the ridiculous mantra about the inability of our economy to sustain the payments. If they were really serious about recouping funds for the federal coffers the first and most moral place to start would be to slash the obscene, diabolical and hideously immoral pay packets our legislators cart home. There, problem solved.
Wasn’t that simple?
If only we could see the development our taxes etc are supposed to be paying for, it’d be easier to stomach the impending prospect of paying as much as N150.00 for a litre of fuel. But for the average Joe to squeeze out that cash and still not have steady electricity to conduct his business (and thus spend even more to run our ever increasing generating sets), not have safe, good roads to travel on, not be able to afford the ‘good’ schools for his kids.... well, you begin to get the picture.
Revolution, anyone?
Riled up part two – the issue was raised in the senate about the persistently alarming rate of road traffic accidents. To my utter disbelief, there arose from this “honourable” chamber the suggestion that night travel be banned! So the answer to the failure to provide motorable roads and security for travellers is to deny them their constitutional right to freedom of movement? Brilliant!
While they’re at it they might as well abolish education to combat the appalling results the nation has been recording in recent years.
Riled up part three – a feature on the never-ending construction of the death-trap that is the Abuja-Lokoja ‘expressway’. Need I say anymore on this?
I think I’ll catch some  Top Gear .....

Comments

  1. I called my blog "my musings" before I changed it. I have so much to say to the Nigerian govt iv decided to say to God instead because for some people it supernatural intervention and interference. I'll do some blogging on it somewhere else maybe I have to do something with my articles.....very nice by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I like the concept of "...say it to God instead". Will use that sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Steps

Manna and Quail

Flying Doves, Fallen Giants